Friday, January 14, 2005

No Rain

Amplitude Modulation giveth, and Amplitude Modulation taketh away. That’s right folks, the AM radio dial that so warmly welcomed The Ninth earlier this week, has turned the cold shoulder. Til next Friday, at least. I have been bumped from today’s show on The Zone, so don’t try tuning in. If you were planning your day around it, as I’m sure you were, feel free to see what Dr. Phil and Justice, Judy Style are up to. The good news is, now I know what Blind Melon feels like.

But there is some positive news. You see, I was saving a few gems out of my last column. I know, I know, you could tell. It was good, but was it its usual Homeric perfection? Perhaps not. I didn’t want people to hear me on the air, check my website, read what I had just said to millions (hundreds), and realize “hey, this idiot only knows like three things.” But now, I have been freed, and I can share….

- TMQ tells us that since the current playoff formation was adopted in 1990, home teams in the divisional round are 45-11, a .803 winning figure. This of course stands to reason, as all home teams in round 2 have received byes because they’re really good. But it’s important to remember. While it’s entirely possible that there will be three or four upsets this weekend, it isn’t at all likely. In fact, the most likely thing is that road team victors will amount to one or none. Looking to the NFC, I see two games that could go either way, with the Eagles and Vikes seeming the most suspect. Randy Moss should have submarined his team against the Pack, and he didn’t, so who’s to say his sandbox ethics will be a problem now? No one in the world knows if Philly can win without TO, and I’m a little surprised Andy Reid chose the divisionals as the time to find out. If either home team should lose on Saturday, take a look at that .803 winning percentage and sleep soundly through the night. It shall be clear sailing on the morrow.

- The biggest thing, and really it always is, will be turnovers. The standard NFL game features about 12 ball possessions or drives per team. You change that ratio a couple digits either way with a few picks and a fumble, and things can get out of hand, especially with two teams that can score. If Brady misfires a few times and let’s Patyonoverrated work on a short field, New England will lose. They don’t have a lot of wiggle room this weekend, and that’ll do it. But, the same can be said for Indy. So watch that.

- This whole Indy/New England relationship reminds me so much of the Yankees and Red Sox, it’s getting silly. Every year, New York is the favorite. Boston gets a couple new players, goes on a win streak, and declares themselves done with the old Red Sox ways. This year, the dastardly Yankees are going down. And it seemed plausible, you could see how it would happen, but really, comfortably, you could never plan on it. Until New York was beat, they had to be the favorite. That’s just the way it is. And I feel the same way about Indy. Belichick owns them like Park Place. I understand what the Colts can do on offense, I entirely respect them as a football club, but as far as them winning, I’ll believe it when I see it. They could it, but do you really think they’re going to? Nah, me either. And yes, we’re a little like Yankee fans right now.
|